Friday, September 27, 2013

LIVES WELL LIVED

As a boy, I played basketball for my school, the Thompsonville Tigers.  In elementary, we played a much smaller town called Akin.  I don't remember whether we ever beat them or not, but one thing I remember is playing against two guys named Miller--brothers a year apart.  And in the stands watching was a husband and wife with two other little Miller clones--I mean, these guys looked alike.

During teen years, I visited a little church, I guess to do special music, called Steeleville Baptist Church (you would turn just before Benton, by a farm implement company.  By the way, later the daughter of that farm implement company was my pastor's wife in T-ville.

A little later, our church had a very active youth program and singing group called "The Happenings."  (Well remember, this was the 60's).  Eventually this family, the Miller family, came to join our church, and what a blessing to us they were.  Gene wanted to be sure he kept his boys active in church, and ours was the place for the time.

I was the age of Larry and Dennis, and then a few years younger were Rodney and Paul.  And they were active in the youth group--we went on mission trips (one time to Louisville Kentucky), other churches to sing, lock ins, retreats, and God used our pastor, Jerry Pyle, to bless the youth and grow the youth.  Three preachers, to my knowledge, came out of the group, but many, many serious commitments to Christ were made that influence the rest of our lives.

Eventually, youth grow up and go their separate ways and pastors go God's ways.  After Jerry was when a guy a year older than me, Richard Shaw (wife was the farm implement owner's daughter), and they were a great blessing to me as I finished college and had an interim time at home before I got my teaching job.

Had not seen Rodney Miller nor heard of him since, but had occasionally seen his older brothers--one of whom married a gal from our youth group.  They were very active in church (Gene and his wife passed along not just church going, but genuine faith, and it "caught." as they lived in the area.  But Rod has been, I guess, over many places, and to Georgia where he lives with a fine looking family.

Now he has begun a new endeavor called Small Town/Big Deal, where he is telling the stories of small towns and their peoples on RFD-TV.  (Also available on the internet--Google it).  When I came down with my leukemia, we got back in touch with one another.

In Proverbs, I believe 22:6, says, "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  I've heard it preached as a promise of God, but that's not really so.  It is wisdom literature--wise sayings that generally occur in life, but not a guarantee.  Many Christians would attest, sadly to the fact it is not a promise, but continues to be their prayer for their kids.

In general, if we train up a child God's way, and in the way the child should go, the child will follow that path through life, or return to that path at some point.

The Miller family is still being blessed through a hard working farm family that "trained up their children in a godly way," and they are still being blessed because of it.

Thanks Rodney for reconnecting.

One other thing I want to say, God's way for Rod and I have been different through life.  But that was God's intention and plan.  God used who we were and our faith to mold us into who we are today.  God wants to do that for you too.  So seek the Lord while He may be found, trust Him, and He will do it.

Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment