Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Do Something

A few months ago, I led a small group through a study, titled, "Real Life Discipleship Training Manual."  It was a workbook designed to teach groups principles to lead small discipling groups.

One of the things within that was that in the discipleship process, there was God's part, the leaders part and our part.  Each is important in the process of growing into a disciple of Jesus Christ.

In the late 1970's, when I was studying at Southwestern Seminary in Ft Worth, Texas, there was a professor of counseling called John Drakeford.  One of Dr. Drakeford's important statements was, "Act yourself into a new way of feeling."  There are times when we don't "feel" like doing something, following God, witnessing, getting out of bed.  But the point was, at times, we just had to overcome out feelings by taking action--doing something, and the feelings would follow.

In the Christian life, that is often the case, as it is with me now on chemotherapy.  At times, there seems to be no flavor to my food.  At times, to keep up my strength, I have to just force myself to eat something, even with no flavor.  But I know I have to eat to work though what is going on in my body right now.  So I do what I can to "act myself into a new way of feeling."

God's part is the healing, and the doctors/nurses are co-laborers in that process.  But also I am part of that too, as I do MY part.

Nike said in ads a few years years ago, "Just do it!"  And so often to grow in Christian discipleship, that is what's necessary.  I don't "feel" like it; but I must just "do it," following the Lord's instructions; even when I don't understand, don't want to, feel I can't.  The power is His; the motivation is His; but I am to follow to obey.

What is it today that you need to "act yourself into a new way of feeling," as you seek to follow the Lord and become His more fully committed disciple?

No comments:

Post a Comment