Friday, March 30, 2012

DON'T FOLLOW JESUS

Don't follow Jesus unless ...

Matthew 4:19, speaking the words of Jesus says, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." (NIV)

Notice the second part of this verse (thanks to Real Life Discipleship Training Manual, for drawing my attention to this). "I will make you ..."

Following Jesus involves many things, but one thing we must do in deciding to follow Jesus or not is to "count the cost." (See Luke 14:25 ff. for the idea of this.)

It is not easy to make a commitment to Jesus as Lord, and it is not easy to continue to allow Jesus to be Lord of one's life. The struggles and battles are many.

"I will make you" implies that Jesus will be about making changes in our lives. The representative of God and Jesus, the Holy Spirit, is working in one's life--the one who follows Jesus as Lord--to "transform" us into the likeness of God. (See Romans 12:1-2) That implies change from one thing to another. Change is not easy and change is not always what I seek.

Change implies different ways of thinking, different attitudes than are natural for me, and different actions in living life.

But notice who makes the changes. "I." That implies in the context that Jesus makes the changes--God makes the changes. He points out areas where there is a conflict between "my" ways of thinking, feeling and doing from "HIS" way of thinking, feeling and doing. And when those are pointed out, I am to allow Him to have His way and do His work in me and through me.
Not easy for me, but that is a part of "following Jesus," and letting Him be Lord.

When I think of the forgiveness, mercy and grace that I have received from the Lord, the changes don't seem as hard, knowing that He has His best interests in mind, but also what is best for me in mind as well. It really is best for me to be more like God and Jesus. He will make me a better person than I could just be in my own power, without someone loving and moral working in me.

Don't follow Jesus ... unless you count the cost and ... unless you are willing to let Him make the changes in your life that He feels are necessary. But if you do choose to follow His lead, you will find a very rich and rewarding life is in store for you.

"I will make you ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment