Saturday, December 31, 2011

LET'S BE HONEST

Let's be honest. Aren't there times when believing is very hard--when life isn't working--when your faith seems not to work? But belief in God and Jesus is easy when life is not tested and when faith is not tested. A faith that is true faith calls for examination.

I love the honesty of the Scriptures. Those who talk of it being a book of "goody-goody" things all the time--a book of just trite sayings to make people feel good have just not read the Scriptures. The Scripture is most of all honest. And it points us beyond ourselves to "light and truth" for living life in a questioning, struggling, disbelieving world.

For example, Psalms 42-43, probably originally one psalm. (Remember, psalms were songs, written to be sung by the Jewish congregation. As you read this psalm, can you believe it was sung in worship? Would you sing it in your time of praise and worship?)

This (these) are written in a time of distress, discouragement, hardship. And not only are the circumstances not good, but enemies or unbelievers are attempting to provide more reason to disbelieve God's goodness and even His existence. Job's friends had much advice for Job, but Job was honest and knew what his circumstances were, better than anyone else (except for God).

Notice thoughts that reoccur in Ps. 42-43, "Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God." (NIV) (See 42:5, 11; 43:5)

What is the composer doing? A little pep talk during the time of discouragement. He honestly expresses his discouragement, but attempts to point himself to the help, which is God, the Savior. When we are down, we too, often give ourselves a pep talk--a little "self-talk"--to attempt to have hope in the midst of turmoil and depression. (This is a good thing, by the way.)

But the psalm writer is honest about his feelings. Note 42:9, "I say to God my Rock, 'Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?'" (NIV)

And notice a very similar thought in the questions in 43:2, "You are God my stronghold. Why have you rejected me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?" (NIV)

Honest questioning in the midst of turmoil. But in each time of asking questions, there is a contrast. "God, you are my Rock--God you are my stronghold."

If indeed You are this, God, then "why"?

But what we find, (for use in corporate worship) is a faith in the midst of honest questioning and need. This becomes a tested faith, a faith that understands the genuine circumstances of "God is good and loves me," but also the "things are not going as they should if God is good and loves me." This is honest faith--honest trust--honesty seeking a reason to believe and hope.

But notice, the Psalmist keeps coming back to the right place for help with the questioning. "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God." (42:1) And, "I say to God, my Rock," ... and "Vindicate me, O God," ... "You are my God my stronghold'.

But notice especially 43:3. "Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell." (NIV)

What is most needed when times of discouragement and lack of hope come, when questioning is where you live, is the genuine light and truth.

And where are genuine light and truth found? The Psalmist sings (and believes and points others) to God Himself--to His Person and His presence.

Light points the way when in darkness. Truth helps us make wise decisions when we are tempted to believe untruth--things false and dark and wrong.

If indeed, God is a good God and a loving God, then He is also the source of light and truth. Henry Blackaby said in Experiencing God that we do not have the FULL TRUTH until we have God's truth on a subject. Many do not believe that, and therefore they will not seek, nor find, the real truth of their situation.

When in discouragement and questioning, one needs God's light (Himself and His Word), and truth (same sources).

"Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me"--let them guide me instead of my anxious thoughts, my doubts, my discouragement.

And where do the "light and truth" of God lead us? "Let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell." In other words, let light and truth bring me to YOU. Back to His Presence--to Him--to the source. This is not just living by my faith or my hope nor even the words of a book or a philosophy or my doubts. But going back to the original Source of everything--God Himself. The One who wants a relationship with ME!

Then, (43:4), back to church (corporate worship), back to praise, back to God Himself, who is the believers's joy and delight. Faith is not dependent on circumstances--neither is joy. It is based on God Himself and a relationship with Him. Gaining His perspective from Him Personally--not just the words of someone else (even a preacher).

Honesty--you and I need it, in the midst of hard circumstances. Honesty--they are found in God's Scriptures, the songs and writings of those who have gone before us, attempting to live by faith in circumstances where the goodness and love of God are tested against doubtful and hopeless times.

The pep talk for those times--"Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."

I need the pep talk right now. Do you?

Be honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment