Thursday, December 22, 2011

ALL RELIGIONS ARE THE SAME

A few days ago, I heard again the belief that "all religions are the same," or something to that effect. (I can't find the post to respond to it now.) But to me, that just does not make sense. It is not intellectually compelling nor satisfying for me.
There are certainly differences in the major religions of the world. Islam, Judaism and Christianity are all monotheistic (i.e., they believe in one God only). Hinduism believes in polytheism (many gods), and Buddhism may believe in god or may be atheistic.
Islam, Judaism and Christianity believe in life after this life in a place of bliss or torment. Others may believe in reincarnation, and in Buddhism, if I understand (which I admit, I do not totally understand), the goal is to be "blown out" or absorbed into the world soul. It is to be removed from the endless cycles of being born and reborn (reincarnation) due to how one's life is lived.
All certainly try to have us become better people, as do some other philosophies of life. This may be living by ethics and doing more good than evil or having the right mindset toward things, so that one does not worry over suffering that cannot be changed.
So how can one say that "they are all alike." They seem to have different purposes, different ways of achieving their ends, even different ways of looking at life (Islam, Judaism, Christianity are moving linearly, while Hinduism and Buddhism are cycles of life, to be repeated and hopefully, at some point, left behind).
Could it be that there is one God; one who did create this world; one who did set up the idea of ethics or doing good toward others? Could it be that this God seeks people to be in relationship with Him, even though they, on their own, do not seek Him or His ways? Could it be that this God set us rules about what is right and wrong?
I have read books by John Hick, Wilfrid Cantwell Smith, and others who say that "all religions are alike." But I just don't feel their arguments are compelling for me. Yes, I grew up in a "supposedly" Christian nation with Christian parents in a Christian church. Yes, I have read the Bible extensively and believe it to be God's revelation to humans. I have also read lots on this pluralism issue (many religions being equal). But for me, the "all" argument is just not satisfying to my mind, nor to my heart.
I also believe that the majority of real "followers" of other major religions do not believe that each is equally valid. They must believe that "theirs" is the one most satisfying, most beneficial, most compelling to them and their walk of life. Otherwise, why stick with it--why continue to practice it? And for many, who have switched their "religion," there must be some reason they have moved from one to the other; not believing each was equally valid and alike, but they must have come to believe, probably not only with the intellect but also with the heart, that there is some compelling difference. Therefore they sought after that rather than the other.
Each person has the right to his/her own decisions as to what religion (or none) to practice. Each person has the right to believe what she/he wills to believe. And each person is accountable for making those decisions, if indeed there is a God.
What for me is compelling is that there is one God, the God of Judaism and Christianity--Yahweh (or Jehovah). He is Creator of the world and all that is in it. He is the sustainer of it all, so that it is still here by His design and His mercy. He is also the redeemer of His creation, sending His Son, Jesus, to earth as a model and example of how to live to please Him. But also, Jesus, as One who was sent to redeem us from our wrongdoing, our attempts to do what displeases God, our moving away from what is best for others. This, to me, is the God, revealed in the Old Testament Scriptures and revealed even more in the New Testament teachings of Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God.
I respect people of other faiths and those of none. I try to show them honor and friendship and support. I genuinely care for those who disagree with me. (One said, "we should learn to disagree agreeably.") But I also believe in the one who said in John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me." And I believe that He also said, "When you have seen me, you have seen the Father." (John 14:9)
Dialogue--not angry argument. Openness to truth--not closedness (by either side). Genuine love for others, even if we disagree. (At some point, we will.)
Don't let others make the decision for you. Read the documents for yourself and see what compels you most. For me, that is the God of Judaism and Christian faith--Yahweh. And that is why I celebrate the birth of Jesus this Christmas, once again. I could never repay the debt I owe Him!

1 comment:

  1. It seems to me that a lot of the "argument" people put forth in saying that all religions are the same is nothing short of intellectual laziness... but that's just my 2 cents worth ;)

    ReplyDelete