Monday, July 11, 2011

LOVE READING BIBLIOGRAPHIES

I confess--I love reading bibliographies! Now I didn't say biographies (although those are not bad). And I didn't say autobiographies (not bad either), but bibliographies.
At the end of some books there are lists of books that the authors have consulted in doing their research or study for the book (or article) they wrote. And I just love reading these. Strange (you got it!)
When I was a freshman in high school, I took typing class. My teacher, Mary Ellen (had to call her Mrs. Dorris in h.s.--fun to call her Mary Ellen now), challenged me. I told her I didn't like to read. She told me I should read things I liked. At first, on the book orders, I just ordered sports books. But she gradually challenged me to branch out. Stupidly (thankfully now) I listened to her. I ordered Doestoevski's, Crime and Punishment (a book about an ax murderer--the murder happened on page 50, and then 250 more pages of his guilt, his fear of being caught, and finally freedom on a technicality). I also read some science fiction by Ray Bradsbury and a play by Arthur Miller (I really branched out). When I could select what I read, rather than teachers telling me what to read, it was fun (at least some of it.)
A few years ago now, while teaching a seminary extension class, I quoted some statement I remembered, but could not remember whose book it was in. I mentioned that, and one of my students said this of me, "Brother Sam, you sure must like to read!" I had moved a long way from Mary Ellen's class, when I said I didn't like to read.
My wife may wish I didn't like that so much. There is one corner of our living room that she can't attempt to dust, because I have so many books, piled high and beside one another, that to attempt it would be to push over the leaning tower of Pisa. Actually, I think no dust can get to that table or two where my reading clutter is piled.
Actually, I realized today that I am not really Sam White--an individual. There are hundreds of people living in my body (is that demon possession?) through all of what I've read. I am really a composite of people, Richard Foster (Celebration of Discipline, Devotional Classics), Henry Blackaby (Experiencing God), Moses, Isaiah, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, and many others (Bible), Stephen Covey (7 Habits of Highly Effective People), and Henry Nouwen (too numerous to mention.
I have visited England and Narnia through C.S. Lewis; Russia through Tolstoy; China through (I don't remember who). I have visited Israel and Egypt and Turkey through the Bible (all the while sitting in my easy chair). I have gone back in history and gone forward in history and even lived in my own time through books.
Bibliographies--I love them! What they do for me (other than getting my adrenaline running faster) is to show me more books or articles to read. (Unfortunately, as Michael Card said in a song years ago, "So many books, so little time.") Reminds me of the definition of a classic book. It is a book that everyone wishes they have read but doesn't want to take the time (or energy) to read. (Began but have not gotten very far in War and Peace.)
When I see a bibliography, it shows me more books, some of which, the titles look intriguing--for future reading. I think these are actually inventions of Amazon and Barnes and Noble-- conspiracies to make money from me--and they have done quite well. That is where my kid's college money and inheritance have gone! (Do you think maybe they can sell them and get some of their inheritance when I die?)
Yes, Clint, I like to read. I like to ponder and think. I like to travel through books. I like to learn and grow and increase. I like to be challenged (though I don't always like to change).
I believe through books I have gained knowledge I would not have gotten otherwise. But also, I have grown in compassion and heart knowledge. I have come to appreciate different viewpoints from my own and cultures that I did not grow up with in a very small town. My horizons have been greatly expanded.
God has made me the person I am through the experiences of life I have had. And an important part of that for me, has been reading.
If you don't like to read, I challenge you (as Mary Ellen did me) to find something you like. Begin there. But then, branch out. I also challenge you to "read the bibliography." It will uncover more books or articles that may be of interest to you. Then take the time--make the time--find the time to sit and read (you can use your Nook or Kindle if you must--I still like the smell of dusty pages). Do not neglect great devotional literature, and especially the Bible (in a version you can understand or prefer). Build not only your mind but your soul as well. (Want suggestions, contact me.)
And see what God will make of you--where you may travel--what experiences you may have--and how much richer your life and your ministry and your service to others will be.
Present Bibliography--What I'm reading now: (Now slow down your breathing, please!)
Richard Foster, Devotional Classics
Douglas Steere, Prayer and Worship
Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch, ReJesus
Lesslie Newbigin, Gospel in a Pluralist Society
Bible--Proverbs, Luke
Quote I recently came across (I don't remember where)--"You don't read the Bible. It reads you." Think about that one a while!
Carpe' Diem! (Actually this came to me from a movie, Dead Poet's Society)

No comments:

Post a Comment