Thursday, January 23, 2014

I Am My Brother

My kids got seasons 1-3 of the Muppet T.V. show for my wife and I for Christmas.  I used to love watching it when it was on. 

In the first season, there is a curious little song entitled, I Am My Own Grandpa.  When my son, wife and I watched it the first time, we laughed til we cried.  Such a funny song.

When at the cancer center yesterday, I got news that now my bone marrow, which produces blood for a person, is now totally my brother's (the donor's) from the stem cell transplant, and that it is totally engrafted--very good news.  My bone marrow was unhealthy--hence the leukemia I had.    But I got to thinking, "Does that mean I am now my brother?"  Silly.

As I reflected on it, some Scripture and songs came to me about my relationship with Christ.  Galatians 2:20 says, "I have been crucified with Christ and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me."  John said in chapter 15, "Abide in Me, and I in you."  An old hymn says, "Is the love of Christ flowing through you" (as blood flows through our veins)?  I think of other Scripture that says I am to die to self, and live in the Lord.  And I am aware of others that talk of the fact that the Holy Spirit is to live out the life of Jesus through my life.  All good words, but challenging for followers of Jesus.  He is to be "our life."  Life is to be all about Him, as if His blood ran through our veins; as if His bone marrow created our "life blood."

The Hebrews felt that the life of the person was in the blood, hence they would not allow any animal to be eaten that had not been drained of its blood.  Blood, just as life, were given by God Himself, the Holy One of Israel--the Creator God who "breathed into the nostrils the breath of life," and who thought up this entire body--an amazing body of systems that normally work well together.

Back in the 70's or 80, there was a man, Mark Gersmehl, who wrote a song which said, "You're the only Jesus that some will ever see."  This is a good reminder that I do not, as a believer in Christ, just represent me as I live in this world.  I show Jesus to others--for good or for bad.  Paul says we are to "reflect" Christ and be a "fragrance" of Christ to others.

When people look at my life, and yours, do they see the life of Jesus, the love of Jesus, the way of Jesus exemplified, or does our life point them to other ways of living, contrary to the purposes and pleasure of God--His intents?

Is 100% of Jesus bone marrow engrafted in you?  If not, there is still growth to attain and things to do as we become His fragrance--Jesus to others.  Keep on the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment