Saturday, October 19, 2013

FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS

Focus is often lacking among Christians as it is among Americans.  We have so many projects going at once--"too many irons in the fire," the old saying goes.  We try to get everything out of life we can--and more done all the time--more, more, more.  Is there anything wrong with that?  Could be.

I wish every believer could read A Testament of Devotion, a small devotional book by Quaker, Thomas Kelly.  I especially wish everyone could read the short essay within the book titled, "The Simplification of Life."  It discusses being controlled, not by the pulls of life, not by our own thoughts, desires, needs, urgencies, but by the Divine Center.  (Quakers use many terms for God unfamiliar to other Christians.)  But, as he says, we so often do not seek out the "Divine Center" to focus on what is important and what is OUR service, our ministry, our way of loving Him and loving others.  Instead, we just shoot out shotgun at everything in our path, rather than the focus of the rifle at the real target each of us should be striving toward.

Kelly says, where there is time made to "focus" on God and His purpose, then we find ourselves being less pulled in too many directions and more focused on what is important.  But what is important should be for the Christian "what is important to God," not just to you and me.  And truthfully, I don't want to live that way--that means "denying self, taking up my cross, and following Jesus" (how's that for a good biblical idea--Lk 9:23).  But my self doesn't want crucifying--just let me live my life the way I want to, as I seek to worship and follow Christ "MY" way.

Kelly says, we know there are some who slip into the Divine Center and live their live--even busy lives--less harried, less split, less feverishly--and they find joy, peace, rest in the midst of it all.  They seem to find fulfillment when many of us are just involved going from activity to activity, and just feeling more tired rather than joyful in doing good.  What is the difference?  Gaining focus from God as to His purpose for me.

I have also been reading a book titled, Plan B, by Pete Wilson.  It discusses what one does when my Plan A is not God's plan, but God brings to us Plan B.  What happens when what I want to do conflicts with what God brings into my life--like illness or failure or (you add the circumstance).  How do you and I, as believers, deal with God's Plan B?

Again it is a matter of focus.  Wilson says we so often focus on the what, when and where of knowing God's will (and God's plan) "that we neglect the most important question, which is why."  (Wilson, p. 77)  Why are we doing what we are doing?  Why am I living my life for Christ?  Why am I here?

As Wilson discusses the Apostle Paul, he says this, "He knows why he's doing what he's doing.  He knows his purpose, his mission--to bring glory to God with his life." (Wilson, p. 77)

When one knows his purpose, his mission, then it is easier to live that out through daily interactions with people, daily events, and to leave off those that are not part of that purpose.  Simplicity--focus--saying "yes" to some, and "no" to others.  But you must know the "why," the purpose, your purpose.

And where do we learn that purpose, and continue to refocus on that purpose?  By spending time with the "Divine Center"--God Himself.  Jesus did it when there was so much healing, preaching and teaching to do, but he went off by himself to pray, and then he told his disciples, "we must move on to other cities, because that is why I came."  There was great success where He was, but He got alone with God to refocus on His purpose--"WHY" He was here.  If Jesus needed that, do you?

What are you involved in that you should probably let someone else do or that you just need to drop?  (This applies to churches as well--see a book titled, Simple Church.)  The reason this happens though is for focus, and the focus comes when we ask God "why" and He reveals to us what is most important to us living out the "why."

Focus, focus, focus.  Do you need to get alone with God, to consistently ask God, "why"?  Why am I doing what I am doing?  Is it really to "glorify God with my life" or is it for some other reason?

Wouldn't it be great to be "busy doing what you were created to do and be" rather than just pulled in every direction.  Seek out the Divine Center, consistently, and see the focus of life change.

No comments:

Post a Comment