Saturday, September 15, 2012

YOU CAN'T BE WHO YOU'RE NOT


You can't be who you're not; you can only be who you are. How's that for a catchy first line?

Recently, I found this to be true again. I began work at a Christian bookstore, thinking that I like books and I like people and there are very nice people that work there, so that should be a good job for me. But the problem was, that was not me--it was not a good job fit. Why? Because somehow with many of the demands of that workplace, I was not wired that way--to really fit there.

In training, one of the videos I saw was from Thom Rainer, president of Lifeway. One thing he said was that those who worked there should see it not as just a way to get a paycheck, but to see it as a ministry--putting Bibles and good Christian books into peoples' hands--listening to people and really helping them, praying for them, and even leading them to Jesus. Wow, a great thing--and what if more of us would see our job as a way to minister for Christ (if we are Christians) and to do it all "as to the Lord, not just people!" (Colossians 3:23)

As I learned more about the work place, though, I realized it required things that were not "me." It required much multitasking, moving from one machine to another, and one live person to someone on the phone and back; more than I felt I could do, especially at age 61. It was "who I was not; not who I was." As we live life, we learn more about who we are and who we are not.

God made us all with different gifts, talents, abilities. (See 1 Corinthians 12 & 14 for differing spiritual gifts). I was not made to be an engineer--different set of talents and knowledge than I am equipped to have. I was not made to be a nurse, like my sister and daughter. I was not made to be in sales like my brother or retailing with coffee, like my son. I was made to teach, but not with elementary school children (and especially junior high) like my wife (and especially kindergartners--they just "wear me out.")

Who made me the way I am? God. I have gifts for teaching and working with small groups. Gifts for teaching adults (for many years college students and internationals), and gifts for facilitating and leading small group studies. I was made to share God's Word with others--helping them understand its meaning and to learn how to apply its implications for life.

I was told (by a professor at Southwestern Seminary) that an early seminary professor (Jeff Wray) made this statement: "If there is anything else you can do and be happy besides preaching, do it." The implication was that if God called you to this task, you really would not be happy doing anything else. If God wired you to that ministry, then you would only be happy doing what He made you to be and do. You can't be who are you aren't; only who you are.

Working at a bookstore can be a very important ministry, for those whose gifts are wired that way. Being a nurse, a teacher, a sanitation engineer, a plumber, etc., are important jobs that can be a ministry if God made you to be that. But if He didn't, you will not be happy doing that, and shouldn't a job be more than just a paycheck? Shouldn't it be fulfilling to your life, to your family, and those you work with and serve? I think so.

So, yeah, I washed out at the bookstore, because that was not who I was; it was who I was not. (It is a great place to work, a great job, a great ministry for the right person.)

I believe it was Edison who said upon failing again at coming up with a workable lightbulb, "Well I have not failed; I have discovered another way not to make a lightbulb (my poor paraphrase)." What was he saying? Supposed failure can help us find who we are rather than who we're not. And the older we get, I believe we learn more of who we are and what God created us to be and do. Then life is fulfilling, rewarding, full of passion and service, and "serving the Lord, not just another person" (or a paycheck.)

One of my Facebook friends recently paid me a compliment, one that I really do appreciate. He said that I was "a minister, whether I was being paid to do that or not." I think the implication was that I genuinely had a heart of service, to God and to people. To me, that means "working for the Lord, not just to please people or for a paycheck." I like that. And I believe that is true of me, but it is within my gifting--in the way God made me with my special mix of talents, gifts, abilities, and age groups.

And what peace and joy and passion there is in doing what God made one to be and do!
 
So be what you are, not what you aren't.  And find the fulfillment and joy of God as you serve Him through that career He created you for.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment