Saturday, June 4, 2011

FOR NOW!

Recently I have been reading Total Church, by Timmis and Chester, and rereading Spirit of the Disciplines, by Dallas Willard. Today it really hit me that I have been seeing salvation too much only for the life to come and not for this life now. For a while now, I have been frustrated with salvation efforts, thinking that was all there was to it, for the life to come--to get people saved before they meet their God. (By the way, this is a very, very important thing!)
But it really hit me today, in the midst of all my reading and study of Real Life Discipleship, by Putman and others, and all the study of discipleship in other things, that Jesus wants to save us to give us a better life NOW. Not just pie in the sky, by and by, but NOW. I've read it and taught it and been hitting pretty hard lately on living the Christian life, but somehow it had just not gotten through to me.
Jesus doesn't just want to save us for heaven. He wants to make us better people now, here on this earth, so we will live better lives. (Could that be what He meant by "abundant life" in John 10:10?)
That living life better is good for me. I give my life to things that are worthwhile and make a difference in both me and others whose lives I touch. I give my life to people in ways that make them better people also. Is it more than doing better materially? But of course it is! Much, much more!
If I learn to control my anger, I am better off and so are others around me. If I learn to control my appetites--be more Spirit-controlled, rather than "out of controlled," I and all those around me are better off. Also it will help others to look for the way THEY TOO can control their lives, their appetites, their power and money and influence.
So giving one's life to Jesus, letting Him be Lord and Master and Ruler, is something that begins now. And I am in training now to get better and better by living among others here, many of whom do not share my values and beliefs (or His values and beliefs).
Why is this such a stark reminder for me today that my salvation is for NOW, not just for heaven later? I am not sure. But I am glad that today, at least, I got it. Maybe it will be a reminder for you too, or maybe a challenge to investigate Jesus for yourself, not for heaven later (a very good thing), but for life now. So you can become a better person now by imitating the life of Jesus, and allowing Him control of your life and appetites and words and actions through the Holy Spirit who comes to live inside the one who gives his or her life to Jesus.
Now just for later (heaven)--but for NOW! Maybe that will give me more motivation to let Him have His way in my life. Could it help you too?

No comments:

Post a Comment