Thursday, October 14, 2010

My Father's Eyes

Years ago, I heard a song by Christian artist, Amy Grant, entitled "My Father's Eyes." It talked about having the eyes that her Father, God had, and that is good food for thought for us.

2 Chronicles 16:9a is a verse that talks about the kind of eyes one who has the Father's eyes will have. "For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him." (NIV)

God is looking over all the earth that He created with eyes to help and support those who follow Him. That is comforting for me--it gives me hope and peace and strength for today.

But I also am reminded that as a follower of His, one who is filled with God's Spirit, and one who is supposed to be more like Jesus everyday, there is a challenge here for me as well. Do I have eyes like my Father? Is my heart open to helping those who are going through hardships? Am I compassionate toward the poor and oppressed? Am I seeking to find those who NEED a "heart fully committed to him"?

And am I only interested in people right around me--my family--my neighborhood and town--my state, or am I also interested in people around the world, most of whom I have never met nor will ever meet? Do I have a kingdom vision that is a world vision--or is my vision too small?

Do you have your Father's eyes? What would be different in your life today if that were true? And how do you and I develop eyes like our Father?

"Pray the Lord of the harvest" today.

No comments:

Post a Comment