Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Underdogs

I lose a lot! I love to watch sports, and I find myself generally being for the underdog. Because the underdog is the underdog, I lose a lot. But that's ok, because when the underdog wins, what a great thing! What a celebration! What a great feeling--it often brings tears to my eyes. (I also am very emotional at times.)
Last night, my wife and I watched the movie, "The Blind Side." Though I didn't like some of the language in the move, it was a great story of an underdog. I teared up, at times. Based on a true story, a boy from the projects in Memphis, and a rich family that took him in. He went from homelessness and little future to excelling in high school and football, to college, and eventually to pro football. Not only did the family that took him in help bring out the best in him, but a woman who tutored him did also.
There are lots of people in our world who are underdogs. They need someone--some of us with more--to tutor or disciple them--to take them under our wings and help them learn a different way of living. Unfortunately, it is far easier for me to condemn than to help!
It is great when the underdog wins, and it's great when they live life better. But it takes some caring, concerned people to do that. To me, that would be a Christian!

No comments:

Post a Comment