Tuesday, April 16, 2013

BE A BUILDER

Another tragedy has occurred--this time in Boston.  A sporting event--both competitive and personal--has been marred due to senseless evil.  But greater than a sporting event being marred--people have lost their lives and others have had lives changed forever here, due to wrong actions of people who do not care who is hurt or killed.  That is life in our nation and world today.

It is so easy for me to complain and see the bad.  It is so prevalent today and as I age, maybe I get more cynical about government, about the world and nation and directions we seem to be going, about things that it seems cannot be changed.

I am preaching/teaching through Nehemiah right now in the church where I am interim pastor.  It seems God has directed me to the book of Nehemiah for them, and I guess for me too.

In chapter 1, Nehemiah got word about the bad conditions of his home, though he no longer lived there.  And today, as I read chapter 2, some words stuck with me in his feelings, his thoughts, his request of his boss, the king of Persia.  "Why should not my face be sad , when the city (of Jerusalem--parenthesis mine) lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?" (ESV).  Then the king asks Nehemiah what he requests, and after prayer, Nehemiah says this, "... send me to Judah ...that I may rebuild it."

I have a choice.  I can continue to complain about all the bad issues of life, and there are many, or I can make some positive impact in changing the circumstances.  The easier thing is just to complain or say, "I can't do anything."  Or to ignore the situation.  And most of us will just take the easier way out.

Am I a builder or a tearer--a complainer or a difference maker?  I am one small little person--very insignificant in the large scheme of things.  I can't change things in Boston or New York or North Korea.  But I can make a positive impact with people with whom I come in contact.  One person at a time--one friendship at a time--with the Lord of all behind my efforts.

Interesting in chapter 1 what Nehemiah did first.  When he was touched deeply by the conditions, he first prayed.  He realized, "I cannot change the circumstances; only God can do that."  So he went to God for comfort, for change, for encouragement and direction.

I can't change Boston, but I can pray.  I can't change the heart of terrorists, but I can pray.

Or I could just continue to attend church, and worship God, and do what I do without letting things in the world affect me.  Or I could attend and just complain--a lot easier than getting involved with people.  But does God call His believers, His followers, to give up and just do that?  Don't ask me; you ask God.  I think you already know.

Get out of your shelter--even your church's shelter--and encounter the world.  Yes, you'll see lots you don't like.  Yes, you will find people who disagree with you.  But that's where the world will be changed, one person at a time, as you love them and listen to them and care for them, with the love God put in your heart.

All of us are capable of being terrorists--of doing evil things--of doing things we would never anticipate we would do.  The one that changes us and our life is God or the influence of godly people in our lives.  But all of us are capable also, through the leadership of God, to be builders rather than complainers or "'woe is me'ers."

Pray.  Seek the Lord's direction.  Listen to Him and then launch out when He says launch out.  Be a builder.  Be positive and get involved.  "What would Jesus do?"

What will you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment