Monday, September 26, 2011

HELP!

So often when bad circumstances come, our prayer or our cry is "Help--get me out of this!" But what would be a better response? (Now, I am not a sadist, ok?)
Ephesians 6:19-20--Paul writes, "Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I may fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should." (NIV)
Paul is writing while imprisoned. Paul is not free to come and go as he wishes. Yet he is not asking for prayer for escape here nor for release. He asks for pray to seize the moment--to make the most of this opportunity that may only come in this way. Similar to what he talks of in Philippians 1, where he told of opportunities and fruit that came because of his imprisonment.
"God, where are you?" So often we wonder this and we even ask this when in turmoil or hardship. But what was the attititude of Paul? "God, use this circumstance for your glory and as an opportunity that some will come to know and worship You."
When I am in turmoil, I can curse God. Or I can complain to God. Or I can pour out my bitterness about what I am going through. But you and I, those who are believers in Christ, at least have another choice. We can pray for God to use this suffering and pain in the lives of others around us, especially those who do not yet know the gospel as we know the gospel.
When I curse and complain and whine, I am just like others in the world. I am no different from everyone else. The world doesn't need that model--they already have enough of those. They need models of faith--models of conquerors through Jesus--models of how to live above circumstances BECAUSE of a genuine worship and belief in God. That is where we are "peculiar" people--using the words of King James Old Testament. I like to use the word "weird." Weird people because despite circumstances, we continue to have faith--to believe--to trust--to look up to God and look to Him to help us be witnesses of His goodness, His grace, His mercy, His love.
The gospel is a mystery! Why would a Holy God love a little, sinful person like me? Why would the Son of God come to earth to model a life of faith in God for people who so often turn away from God's ways of living life? Why would Jesus, a perfect person, be willing to die for my wrongdoing and your wrongdoing when He never did any wrongdoing? That is a mystery worth investigating! If you are interested in philosophy, here is a wonderful philosophy worth checking out and "loving the chase--loving the wisdom" of learning more.
"Fearlessly make it known--declare it fearlessly as I should." Paul's request for prayer is that he would not get sidetracked from what he should do while the circumstances are not good. (By the way, we often get sidetracked when the circumstances are good also--riches, wealth, houses and lands often lead us to trust in ourselves and our stuff rather than relying on God. We think, we've got all we need, so we forget who was the Provider of it all.)
Get me out of this, or help me make the most of this opportunity to demonstrate God's love, God's provision and God's faithfulness? Which is the BEST choice for the follower of Jesus?
Does it take prison for us to realize this? Does it take bad health or hardships at work or loss of a job? But what could be our prayer or could we have others pray for us as we go through normal trials of life that everyone experiences at one time or another? Could it be that we would be bold declarers of the mystery that we understand about Jesus?
How could God use your circumstances today to fearlessly make known Him and His gospel?

No comments:

Post a Comment