Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A SMALL WORLD

English--who in the world thought it up? English as a ministry--no way! Well, yes.
For over 17 years now, I have been teaching English as a ministry (not professionally) to internationals who are here in America. They have been from Australia, from Asia, from the South Pacific, from South and Central America, from Europe and Africa. None I know from the Arctic nor Antartica yet (not even a Penguin). They have been students and immigrants and husbands and wives and PhD students and taxi drivers, etc.
I have traveled all over the world without punching a ticket and spending my money. (I did get to go teach in Kazakhstan once for 2 weeks at a church there). I've done that travel to many countries though through teaching English to internationals--from Nepal and Peru, from Indonesia and Thailand, from Nigeria and Sudan, from Iran and Saudi Arabia, from Viet Nam and Japan and China and Korea, and ... I am not sure how many countries. Maybe 50 countries or more through the years. (That may be a conservative estimate--not sure)
I tell my classes that I hope they have lots of fun and learn a little English.
And I've trained other Americans who were staying here or going overseas to teach English as a ministry too. Most have wanted to work among Hispanics or Chinese in restaurants or such in their communities here. But some have been going to do this work in England (with Africans who are transplanted there) or in China or Korea. Many I have trained have been doing short-term mission trips to other counties. God has blessed me and extended my ministry in this way--I am thankful to Him.
What has happened through this ministry? Many things I will never know this side of heaven, but what a wonderful thing it will be one day to hear from people I don't even know that this ministry may have touched. I hope that my ministry has helped missionaries around the world through my ministry of teaching English and my love and presence and friendship. I hope that some have grown closer to God or come to know God personally as a result of this ministry. I believe that all is true.
I will never travel to all the countries that my students have come from, but I have traveled there through their eyes and experiences of their country, through their pictures and things they have shared with me. Through their love and respect and culture that they have allowed me to see through themselves.
"For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21) For God to continue to leave me here on this earth a while longer is to continue to make the impact He wants my little life to make. I plan, like Paul in Philippians 3, to "strive for the reason and purpose God made me and the things I can do on His behalf." (Sam's paraphrase) I plan to use what God gifted me with to touch the lives of others.
Maybe I have even made some impact with the Americans I've worked with and ministered to in collegiate ministry and pastoring churches and being a friend.
It is a very, very small world, and I love people from all over our world. God loves them so much more than I could ever do or imagine, and to think he could use a man from a little town to have somewhat of a worldwide ministry--Nah, couldn't happen. Well ... we never know, do we? God is a big God, and He has plans for us that go way beyond our thoughts or dreams. I'm not bragging about a big man today--but a big God who has a big purpose for every one of His creation.
English--yes, even teaching English. But most of all love and respect and honor--love for God first, and then loving others as we love ourselves. Maybe they will see the love of Jesus in me. That's my dream.
Find His purpose for you today--ask and you shall receive. And you will be blessed in a way you never thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment